View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #430
joe sch
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
Wow, it's too early in the week to process; but, I'm remembering this aluminum frame. Possibly a 7000 series alu like the Head Pro or PDP Open. Seems PENN marketed a similar model(I might be dreaming) and had a logo sticker covering the 'gunsight' throat brace. A butt-cap logo sticker would fit there just right, I believe. Frames like that were destined to fail, I reckon, because the throat piece had the stress of 6 or more mainstrings pulling straight up(while the Head rackets had the mains run through the frame for significant increased strength). The Wilson World Class suffered the same fate. In the hands of a hard hitter, the throat could be pulled out of place in short order.

Of course, the super-thin throat brace in the composite DuraFibers was a potential failing point. I have the Lite and the XR-Graphite, both with intact throats...but neither appears to have much 'court time'. I remember seeing my first DuraFiber in the South Carolina heat(in the '70s) and the throat bridge had simply 'melted' and failed.
Coach is very correct as usual.
These rackets were beautiful if strung and played at low tension, like 40 lbs with victor imperial. I had a few such strung models and they played extremely flexible, like slingshots.

Take a look at a few of the offerings:

http://woodtennis.com/durafiber/duraFibers1.jpg
joe sch is offline   Reply With Quote