View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #93
tennis5
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhollines View Post
"The two are very different. Basketball has positions. A kid can be a stiff with no fundamentals and be 7 feet and be a star in basketball. Maybe not NBA but a stiff 7 footer can play college ball. Try that in tennis."

The topic is player development and, with respect to that topic, basketball and tennis are not that different. Again, the point is the lack of simulated match play in tennis for juniors, especially juniors in cold weather (non-tennis) sections. I played basketball at a high level and I will tell you the vast majority of time is spent scrimmaging and playing sand lot which is, again, simulated game situations.

I think we've established that a great coach is a major asset in tennis although the financial barrier alone will remove most kids from having access to a great coach and, given that reality, then the next best thing is to play a lot. There are plenty of pro's with less than perfect fundamentals but they are mentally strong and fierce competitors and that comes from "social environment" . . . it comes from competing and dealing with pressure.

The fact is, the amount of $ we spend on junior tennis is insane and while we do product top flight juniors, we should produce more given the resources available (private and USTA) and the money being spent by parents.

You have a unique situation in junior tennis. In basketball and other sports, we play anyone/any time but in tennis, you have coaches and parents that isolate kids and refuse to let them play anyone which, ultimately hurts everyone.

Bottom line, I think Coach Nott made great points in the article most of which I agree with except, as I said, a great coach can make a big difference (just like in any sport). But, to practice like the real thing is so valuable.

Just the other night (I only know this b/c my daughter told me; I didn't watch it , my daughter played a practice match and was up 5-2 and started to come apart and ended up in the time breaker and she went on to win the set 7-6. That is a prime example of why practice matches are so important . . . it wasn't about winning or losing that set but it was about dealing with adversity; dealing with a lead that you lose and have to pull yourself together (the more practice you get at that, the better). If you are a competitor, even in practice matches, you will bring your competitiveness (you don't turn it off) and that will bring some level of pressure which is so good!!!

You can do all the drills you want (and I don't disregard the value of drilling) but nothing is the same as playing an actual real set.

Harry
Thanks for posting.

So, being familiar with cold weather bubble tennis where the bubbles are up usually for ten months,
the problem seems to be lack of court time.
( a bit like ice skating time, but while you can skate at 1 in the morning for ice time, you can't do that for tennis).

Juniors either play in groups where there is some point play, usually king of the hill
and most juniors do a lesson to two per week where you hitting with the coach.

The problem setting up practice matches is that after groups, courts are reserved/booked on an annual basis as they sell the court time for the year to grownups or juniors with privates.

My question, yes I have one in this ramble, is what would be better in your opinion
( or anyone else's out there.....).

Either bring a friend in to hit during your lesson with the coach there
or find a time where the two juniors hit by themselves with no one watching
( no coaches, and I don't stay for groups or privates, so I wouldn't be there for this).

Thanks.