View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
10ismom
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Well some of them are cool. But a couple parents had their kid go to a different coach now. They always bragged about how this place is one of the only usta high performance centers in the area. Blah blah the usual.
This past Sunday one of the kids had a melt down and broke his racket and started crying. He is 11 as well. He missed 3 fhs in a row and lost it. Was saying he has a practice match later so this match with my son doesn't count. While my kid was blasting balls and basically having fun. The other kids dad had to stop the match because the kid was so distraught. My son would never get upset over a tennis match.

I always told my kid to play and hit your balls. no pushing. They will one day all go in. The academy kids all hit the same ball. A moderately paced top spin ball. It just so happens to bounce right into my! sons wheelhouse and he just crushes it. Over and over. Hitting on the rise and driving the ball down into the court. His fh is actually harder than mine now. He hits with a straight arm and I have a slight bend. So he gets a lot of leverage. With sidespin even lol. Its really developed into a weapon. I certainly think my kid can play tennis for a college team when the time comes. But he is more into football now.
Hey Arche.......it's great that your son is doing great at 11 having you teaching him. He crushes balls now. Is part of it because he is really big and strong for his age? 5' 5'', 145 lbs at 11 is over 99th percentile for wt and height on growth chart. He sounds like he has a football player built!! How's the other kids' sizes compared to him?

We have this one really good boy at my daughter's academy. He has been really big and strong. One time when he checked in to play a 14s age group tourney, the TD wanted to card him. He believed he was 18 then, lol.

Last edited by 10ismom : 10-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.