View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #4432
mikeler
G.O.A.T.

OK, here is my review in the TW format of the Gosen TecFlex 16.

It looks like a standard 16g multi string. It was smooth and seemed fairly limp. The packaging recommended a tension of 45-55 pounds which most here would consider to be low.

Tension it is strung: 54 pounds on a lockout machine full bed
Your regular string set up: Discho Microfibre 16 @ 54 pounds on a lockout
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 18
Power (or lack there of): Medium/High powered multi
Feel: Below average feel
Tension maintenance: Questionable around the 3 hour mark
Price: $9.95/set
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: The only other Gosen string I've tried is OGSM 17 which I hated. So I had low expecations for this string. I liked this one much better but it was just too springy for my game. They can't blame it on the low tension I used since I strung it near the top of their recommended tension.

Serve/Return of Serve: Serves were good for the first 2 hours but then I seemed to be just missing them. Returns got more difficult as the string lost tension.

Strokes: Spin was below average. The string surface is so smooth that it just does not seem to grab the ball well.

Volleys: It feels pretty average on volleys.

Touch shots: It is not great for drop shots.

Softness: The string is nice and soft. Might be a good alternative to try along with Maxim Touch for those who want a lot of power and softness from a string.

Tension: If I were to try this string again, I might up the tension a few pounds to see if I could get rid of the trampoline effect. But I won't try this string again...

Durability: After almost 4.5 sets of singles and 0.5 sets of doubles, one string snapped right in the sweetspot. There was zero warning that breakage was imminent. No fraying or notching that I could see.

Movement: String movement with every multi I've tried in my new Exo Tours is pretty bad. Low tension multis in an open pattern just will not stay in place.

Conclusion: This string reminds me a lot of the Yonex Tour Super 850. It would not surprise me if it is the same string. I just hit way too many balls long especially in my last match to justify using this again.

Last edited by mikeler : 10-17-2012 at 03:47 PM.
mikeler is offline   Reply With Quote