View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #7132
NickC
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feņa14 View Post
Interesting! I think he may sign with another club in January, PSG or Madrid as you mention. He'll then probably leave next summer. Bertrand is more than ready to step up.

I've not been too keen on the players mentioned as backup, Lulic and Assou-Ekotto are the two i've heard most about. I wonder if Coentrao could be an option, he seems to get played all over the pitch by Mourinho, i've seen him as a winger, left back, right back, defensive midfielder etc.. His already sparse playing time would be cut further if he was challenging against Cole AND Marcelo.
Well I think with regards to Coentrao the thing Mou is trying to achieve with the budget he's given at Madrid is depth and versatility, both in terms of tactical variance within the squad and the ability for any given player to be able to play X number of positions, seeing as they're really pushing for the double this year and to do so they'll really need their entire squad save for Casillas to be able to adapt to playing out of position and playing different formations. They have the players to attack, defend, crowd the forward line, park the bus, pack the midfield, play quickly or play slowly. Look at practically anyone in their outfield save for their strikers - they've got players who can play several different positions both in terms of where they line up or what role they have in the team (on either side of the ball). Ronnie can play out on the wing, behind a striker, in the hole, or as a striker himself. Kaka can play central midfield, as a striker, behind the striker, etc... Essien can play anywhere across defense, as a holding midfielder, as a box-to-box midfielder, a defensive midfielder, it goes on and on for everyone in that team. Basically positions can swap at will and there's always cover at any role or position depending on what is needed.

I'd be doing the same thing if I had Mourinho's budget and was aiming for glory on all fronts. He doesn't have to sell to buy so he's stockpiling anyone and everyone he can.