View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
batz
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringertom View Post
With the 4 slams split evenly, is it agreed that, should any of them win in London next month, that's the tiebreaker???
Hey Tom - I hope you are well. I made exactly the point you are making after the USO. Of course, it all depends on how you want to measure POTY - many will argue that whoever finishes year end number 1 is, almost by definition, POTY - and it's a pretty compelling argument.

Others will say that there were 6 'big ones' up for grabs this year. If Roger wins WTF he'll have 2 of them - same as Murray. If Novak wins WTF then he'll have 2 of them - same as Murray, and if Rafa somehow wins WTF then he'll have 2 of them - same as Murray. But if Murray wins WTF then he'll have won 3 - half of the 'big ones' available; with the other half split between 3 players. That would be a reasonably strong argument for Murray being POTY despite only finishing 3rd in the rankings.

There's no slam dunk or right/wrong argument IMO - I think Nole is in pole position because in the event of a 'big ones' tie he has YE no1 and 3 slam finals to use in the tiebreaker!

It will be interesting to watch how things unfold.