View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #33
NadalAgassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizo View Post
I've always thought that Graf's RG title count has been inflated. Prior to Seles's stabbing she hadn't won the RG title in 4 attempts since 1988, with 2 defeats in finals to Seles. Then she went on to win the title there in 3 out of the next 4 years. In 1995 in particular she won RG title after an injury layoff and no tournament practice on clay. Really Martinez who had completely dominated the clay court season let her off the hook in their semi-final. I can't imagine Seles being as generous as that.

Now I'm not saying that she would have struggled to win RG again or anything even if the Seles's incident hadn't incurred, but I don't she think she would have gone on to win another 4 titles there after 1992.

Seles won 3 consecutive RG titles in and dominated the toughest clay court field in women's tennis history I would say.
I think Graf might have still ended up winning 2 more RG titles for 4, 1 more AO title for 4 (she was unbeatable in her form at the 94 event even if Seles is usually superior at AO), 2 more US Open for 4, and still been considered the GOAT by many today with her 4 for 4 slam record. However she would not have 22 slams, 18 or 19 at most. On the other hand Seles's would likely have a better record than Graf at both the Australian and French today, a similar or better record at the U.S Open, a similar or better record at the WTA Championships, a higher standing all time on all of clay, rebound ace, and possibly even decoturf and carpet, and likely been the best player of the 90s over Graf considering Graf was already 4 slams behind and her performances from 93-96 indicate the only year her being able to be #1 over Seles was 1996. Graf of course was not the best player of the 80s, which would leave her no decade to call her own. So even if she had more career slams than Seles and a more complete record due to Seles's likely always marginal at best Wimbledon record, her status as even the best player of her own era, let alone all time would be in serious question.

Court's 24 slams is also heavily inflated, she wins 11 at the Australian Open which wasnt a real slam then, never more than 3 of the top 10 played so it is on par with a 500 event or Premier non Mandatory today, and she didnt win more than 5 anywhere else. Based on that we can conclude she would be down to 18 at most if the Australian was a real slam then. That is my main point, the final slam totals of Court and Graf both come with a major asterix so most would view someone who reached 19 or 20 as holding the true mark.