View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #53
Satsuma Illini
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G Tennis View Post
Based on this week, it seems like reports of OSU's demise have been greatly exaggerated. If Rola indeed comes back, they got:

1S: Rola (top 5 player)
2S: Kobelt (A little inconsistent because he relies on the serve so much, but still a top tier #2)
3S: McCarthy (Not sure why he isn't playing this weekend, but a very good #3)
4S: Van Engelen (Same as McCarthy with absence this week, but a solid player for sure)
5S: Christ (If this weekend is any indication, should be a very good #5. If he beats Hiltzik, I think it is safe to put him ahead of Bernstein as the best #5 in the *******)
6S: Smith (Probably the best #6 in the country outside of Virginia)

And if McCarthy or Van Engelen are injured or out for whatever reason, they have solid #6s in Diaz or Callaghan. If Rola returns, that looks like a team in the 2-5 range (behind Virginia, but competitive with Duke, USC, and UCLA).

Michigan should be a solid team in the 7-10 range. Illinois has depth and could conceivably be a top 16 team. The rest of the ******* is entirely devoid of great teams, unfortunately. Some solid teams (ND, Indiana, Minnesota) but nobody who can make it to Nats at Champaign.
Sounds about right. Rola is the big key. I still expect OSU and Michigan to duke it out for the Big Ten title this year. Illinois has some good young players but no solid #1 OR #2 so it's anybody's guess how they will do. If they end up top 16 I will be very happy.