View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Tennishacker
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoben View Post
Just wanted to share a short story of my wife's encounter with Mr. Williams....who I believe is misunderstood in the tennis world.

My daughter served as a ball kid pretty much the whole week of the Bank of the West at Stanford this last summer. My kid did not get to work the finals that Serena found her self in against Coco Vandeweghe, (who happened into the main draw as a "lucky loser")...but her ID Pass let her in for free. Not wanting to pay finals entrance fees, my wife and son watched from outside Tuabe Stadium on the big screen. Coco takes Serena to 7-5 in the first set and Mr. Williams seemed nervous as he stepped outside to take a smoke. He see's my son has fallen asleep on one of the benches and approached my wife to inquire if he is alright. My wife is shocked that he initiated in conversation with her. He says in short, "I just wanted to make sure your son is alright". They exchange pleasantries for a short while.

Pretty cool guy and apparently still gets nervous even though it was not a grand slam event. He goes back inside the stadium after finishing his smoke. By this time, my wife realizes that she failed to get an autograph and picture with him.

Serena wins the second set 6-3 for the Championship.
Nice story, btw, do you know the "mystical" sportsman, LeeD?