View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #151
hound 109
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhollines View Post
"Grinders can pound the ball or push in my book. It is their unwillingness to move forward and attempt to pressure opponent that defines the style for me."

Thanks for the insight. This is why I asked for the definition of "grinder" because what you describe is not how I define a successful grinder. It's that consistent, mentally strong player with great defensive skills who may be a counter puncher "but" punishes you for making mistakes (Nadal, for example, will put away the soft mid court shot he may get in response to a heavy cross court forehand) but he may take 5-10+ shots as he "constructs" the point.

Tennis is very similar to chess. Some very physically gifted players can play "quick strike tennis" like Isner or Sernea but most can't and shouldn't try. Instead, they should construct points then end it with the dagger but you don't throw out the dagger until you setup your opponent which takes consistency, patience and mental strength.

But for Serena's dominance, a few female grinders (under my definition) would have already won majors. That's not a stab at grinders but more about the dominance of Serena who is, in my opinion, the best of All-Time so it's not fair to say grinders can win majors, that is, grinders as to how I'm defining it which is very different than a classic "pusher." However, by the way, I have massive respect for pushers. Instead of complaining about pushers, learn how to beat them. There's a reason they are successful in the juniors and recreational level . . . at the pro level, again, someone like Errani doesn't hit a slew of winners and came within 1 match of a major . . . but she is crafty as hell and incredibly strong mentally.

It's just like fast food in this country (U.S.) . . . we want instant satisfaction but we don't want to work and earn it . . . it takes work to properly construct a point . . .

Harry
Excellent take.

I see SO many instructors working with smallish (for their age), quick kids & teaching them ONLY the power game......along with their bigger/stronger buddies. It's like they believe there is only one way to play.