View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
lstewart
Rookie

Gino, I also agree that you just described tennis in general, and not just college tennis. I've got a 16 year old son that plays tournaments and hopes to play in college. The game you described is what has developed over the years with poly string, grip changes for more extreme topspin, racket development, etc. When i played college and open tennis 30 plus years ago, most of the elite players I went up against were serve and volley, get to the net as quick as you can. These guys came in on every first and second serve. I was more of a grinder then, so I was having to hit a good return and then a passing shot on the second ball, every point, all day. I agree that to many players the serve and volley is a lost art, but it is tough to handle the monster spin dipping returns. Doubles is the place to show more of the touch and variation you mentioned. You can chip, lob, attack, all the things that are difficult in singles. I have found that alot of the modern players have problems with my more classic game. I hit hard low biting slice backhands and approaches. The topspin group can struggle with these shots it they are hit at sharp angles and stay low. But at any time, no mater what the style of play, doing what it takes to do to win has been the goal. You can choose to play a style you prefer, but ultimately if you are not winning, you may not be in the line-up. I played for a strong NAIA program in the day, and I usually felt more pressure to win all the challenge matches on the team than the actual dual matches. We had lots of very good players not getting to play, so our off days from actual events, we had to compete for our spots with teammates. Just play a style you enjoy, do your best, and have fun. Whatever issues you have now, 30 years from now you will probably remember these days as great fun.
lstewart is offline   Reply With Quote