View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #31
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoJack View Post
Hi corners,

Quick question fer ya. You've mentioned that when string goes down in diameter, string gets softer, and the CoF stay about the same. Your estimate for 18g Co-Focus has indeed a lower stiffness, but your estimated COF is higher at .097 vs the .089 of the 16g. I'm puzzling over that.

Thanks!

Jack
Hi Jack, I think my estimate for the COF on CoFocus 18 was simply an error in typing or something. I would use the 16L number. Looking through the data, I haven't seen any significant difference in interstring COF between the same string in different gauges, which is consistent with the fact that COF is (counter-intuitively) independent of surface area. (I would estimate that CoFocus 18 would end up about 33 pounds at test, BTW).

String-ball COF, however, is another story - the thicker gauges appear to grab the ball a bit better - but since we're looking at cross strings here we don't really care about that ... except from the perspective that a cross string with high string-ball COF might tear up gut mains more quickly. But that would depend on the shape of the string. The spiky ones, I think, are best avoided as crosses, but the flat (Polymaster) and square/squoval (Tourbite/4S) ones might be ideal.

I wish I had time to playtest strings right now as it would be good to get some realworld input into this thread. I would really like to try gut/Polymaster II and gut/Zyex Monogut (Monogut ZX), as well as Monogut ZX/Polymaster II, which might be a great poor man's Fed setup.

I'm also jazzed to try Tourbite 16/Polymaster II at pretty high tension in Wilson's new 16x15 pattern. The reduced number of cross strings should reduce the overall stringbed stiffness considerably, possibly making this pattern a legit full-poly option for those of us that have been sticking with gut/poly to play it safe with our arms.

Last edited by corners : 10-23-2012 at 11:50 AM.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote