View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
gino
Hall Of Fame

Thumbs up Responses Pt. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetJones View Post
I graduated in early 90s and it was the same then. The women's team had a good coach that tried to help players but she left to play European club tennis. Her replacement was what many schools see as the ideal, an average player who won't make any waves but doesn't help you either. He changed one girl from a take the ball early player to a push. I thought it was isolated but then I heard from a player at the div 1 champion school say that they told her to never go near the net! Maybe it started in 90s, not sure. Try to be true to yourself as much as you can. See if there is some way to make this a positive experience.
Thanks for your response - I agree that coaching is huge. The NCAA, NAIA, etc sets up coaching tennis like coaching all other sports. Win, win, win - don't worry about the ones that can't win. I think that tennis is about being true to your self and not letting others influence your experience as a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsuma Illini View Post
I always remember the how Martina Navratilova talked about how she used to get beatdown by Chris Evert during the earlier stages of their rivalry but once her serve and volley game was established, she was near unbeatable. It takes longer for a serve and volleyer to develop so maybe that's why college coaches don't bother with it much. Takes too much time to develop and the benefits come way too late when they are under pressure to produce results NOW.
Thanks for the input - I agree it takes longer for an aggressive stylistic approach to develop. It is technically more challenging, but maybe not as physically taxing. The pressure part is big too, each shot for an aggressive player carries more weight. The ball that makes you win/lose a point could be your second shot. All I know is that I can't change my whole approach to tennis and my game style to fit the college player stereotype - I simply won't be able to win that way. So all I can do is keep trying to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavna View Post
I played D1 tennis from 1979 - 1984 and "grinders" were everywhere - yes due to the way we had all been taught for the most part there was more S&V but camping out at the baseline was just as common. Much of it is on the coach as well, does he or she spend time developing players or just have the team play ladders against each other over and over. My son and daughter also both played (1 still plays) D1 tennis and it was a huge issue for us on choosing the right program - bottom line is the coach is under tremendous pressure to win and in most cases does not have the time (sometimes a lack of desire as there are plenty of lazy coaches out there) to help develop players.
Thanks for sharing your experience - I guess for me, I chose my school because Division I tennis programs I would be able to play at were not feasible for my academic needs. If I had the option to shop around, maybe my experience would be better. But now that I am half-way into my Sophomore year with network of friends, fraternity brothers, a comfortable community, and academic development - do I transfer and change schools with no top 6 matches played in order to be a happier person at the end of the day? Tennis is very important to me, and I want to enjoy it - not resent it.

Thanks again to everyone