View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
monomer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaching32yrs View Post
........No doubt, a grinding style of play where players camp out at the baseline hitting one ball after another high over the net wins. There are few players at the D3 level that can play quality offense on a consistent basis so the game becomes one of avoiding mistakes. .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsuma Illini View Post
........It takes longer for a serve and volleyer to develop so maybe that's why college coaches don't bother with it much. Takes too much time to develop and the benefits come way too late when they are under pressure to produce results NOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus View Post
.......unless you are elite level D1 talent, it is very difficult to play power attacking game and be consistant enough to win day in day out. and you have to serve in 120's with good placement consistantly to get 1 or 2 cheap points in your service game.
How many D3 guys do you know that can do that ?..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by gino View Post
I see the lack of offensive development as a huge issue........The problem is, I am 400+ miles away from my private coach, and developing without working together on court is so hard........
Quote:
Originally Posted by gino View Post
.....I agree it takes longer for an aggressive stylistic approach to develop. It is technically more challenging, but maybe not as physically taxing. The pressure part is big too, each shot for an aggressive player carries more weight. The ball that makes you win/lose a point could be your second shot.......

Thanks to the OP for a very interesting thread. The points above sum up my views.

My kids (16 & 12) play USTA and love tennis. With hard work my 16-yo could play DIII tennis and would have an outside chance at DII. She is a "regular" kid though - we do not spend all of our time and money on tennis.

There aren't enough hours in the day for her to develop a successful all-court, offensive game. There are too many skills to master and the learning curve is too long. Being an aggressive grinder is the realistic option for her to see success. The time, effort and expense required to play D1 tennis does not make sense for most juniors.

The big picture is that tennis is a game of managing expectations. Aside from a handful of people in the world you are always at some level below the better players. You have to try to enjoy it wherever you fit.
monomer is offline   Reply With Quote