View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #446
Sanglier
Rookie

Thanks for the heads-up, Hans! Yes, that Rossignol frame seems to be a very close match to the Durafiber I picked up. However, I noticed that it has a denser string pattern (16x20) than that of the DF (16x18 ). This is not a stringer artifact - I counted 64 grommets on the Rossignol, whereas the DF only has 58. My guess is that these two frames are likely fraternal twins rather than exact clones.

Incidentally, I came across another PS85 this week at one of my fishing spots. This one is really worn (though not broken), and I was going to pass on it due to the condition. However, when I lifted the stringer sticker on the butt cap, I could vaguely make out the letters "JWB". I didn't have my reading glasses with me to clearly see the 'B', but those tiny and widely spaced letters are distinct enough from the later iterations that I knew instantly - thanks to what I had learned on this board - that this is a Couvin frame.

The semi-glossy paint, the single sticker with the moderate tension range - everything is just as others had previously described regarding this model. However, I've also noticed that my Couvin frame has a significantly more rounded contour than the sharply chiseled look of the later models. This is especially obvious around the PWS bumps. If this characteristic is unique to the Couvin frames, then it would indicate that Wilson didn't simply ship the molds from Couvin to Chicago when they switched production sites, but that they had in fact made a new mold for the Chicago frame that incorporated small adjustments.
Sanglier is offline   Reply With Quote