View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFool View Post
I was attempting a sardonic attack on what passes for conventional wisdom on these forums. I'm not calling his strokes girly. I don't think they're WTA style at all. If you read my full post, you'll see I noted Delpo's upper body rotation and modern finish on his forehand.

I was mocking all the MTM folks who say extension on groundstrokes doesn't happen on the ATP, and it's an outmoded approach that still hangs on, on the WTA side.
Yeah, I sort of got that you were being sarcastic.

I've never understood the difference between the "push" and "pull" strokes that used to be argued about here. However, there definitely is a WTA take-back, and Soderling is about the only ATP player I know of who seems to have it, though the rest of his stroke is not really a traditional WTA thing.

At this point, I'm not big on the whole extension or non-extension argument. I think that it is best to just try to replicate the movement patterns of the top pros (or at least one who you think plays well and you could adapt) and try to ignore too much talk about what is happening that isn't based on what you can see.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote