View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #98
NadalAgassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suwanee4712 View Post
Chris was a master chess player who thought 4 shots ahead in order to open up the court or wear the opponent down. You might be wrong footed or beaten with an angle. You also may suffer the death of a thousand cuts. No one was her equal at what she did.

Hana's baseline game was largely centered on getting the opponent to reach or stretch so that she had to take her eye off of Hana. Most any baseline shot she hit might at the last moment be used to approach the net which might be good for Hana or be bad. It's all about what her instincts told her to do.

I always thought Martina's ground game was about moving an opponent over to one side so that she could come forward and cut off the percentage angle.
I totally agree on your assessments on which each of those women tried to do with their baseline games. Graf's baseline game was all about opening up her forehand wing from towards the backside side of the court so she could start hitting inside out forehands, very unusual but what worked for her. I think Austin's baseline game was more simple, overpower or outlast an opponent with her shots.