View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #7165
crosscourt
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
yes because this makes sense, a team that conceded less goals than anyone two years in a row must be average.

18 clean sheets 2010/2011 (60 scored, 33 conceded) next best Chelsea with 15 clean sheets and same number conceded

17 clean sheets 2011/2012 (93 scored, 29 conceded) next best United 20 clean sheets but 33 conceded (ended up costing them the title) and Everton with 12 clean sheets and 40 conceded.

Also before ****ging off the Premier league remember who are current European champions as well as having 3 of the last 7 European champions and multiple finalist appearances in that span as well -- even Spuds made it to the quarterfinal stage, still up there as best league in the world.

De Jong barely played last year and Yaya is lazy when it comes to tracking back. Scoring 93 and conceding 29 shows the defenders must have had something to do with it. Also I'd take Richards and Clichy over any other full backs in the league though Micah's constant injuries are a concern.
I can see that they can be effective in the domestic league. But you can be wooden and effective here. Some of the back fours in Premiership winning teams have been pretty average. Blackburn comes to mind. I don't think it is a criticism of a team to say that it's midfield covers its defence well. We expect that. And as for the standard of the league, it isn't as good as it was five to ten years ago.
crosscourt is offline   Reply With Quote