View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #40
Big John
Rookie

Yes, still a very heavy ball from closed pattern h22. Lets have a look at this logically. we're essentially looking at a replica of the head radical but it is somehow heavier in the construction, which makes the racquet heavier in the head ie - has a higher swing weight, even without additional lead. This is turn hits a heavier ball and gives the racquet a 'thicker' feeling on impact than the Head equivalent?

This high swing weight and the stiffer layup may be the cause of the arm problems many seem to experience with the H22?

The H22's seem to come in different layups, some are stiffer than others. The H19 has more flex but in the case of the one I have, has an even higher swing weight. It as a result hits an even bigger ball but good luck using it on faster courts without great technique.

I've got some h19's coming with a lower swing weight, going to be very interested to see how those play.

I'm playing on grass today and am going to play with the pro stock blades as they are much lighter swingweights than the h22's. The grass at this time of your I suspect will be a bit dodgy and having a lighter racquet can help when you need to adjust quickly? I'll be using the h22's on clay though, the extra swingweight really helps get the ball up high and through the court when you flatten it out.

It appears that just about any racquet will be more powerful and provide more easy access to spin in an open pattern and this seems to be the case with the h22's. What I have found with my flexier h22's in that the difference in spin and power between the open and the closed isn't that great. I string the closed pattern at 50lbs and the open at 53lbs and the power seems similar at that tension.

My major discovery from all of this is that you can generate heaps of spin from a tight patterned flexible racquet. I had previously thought I needed to go open pattern to hit big kickers, apparently not so..
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote