View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #242
pc1
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
Plenty of course.

It's just hypocrisy or plain ignorance when people imply or state outright that Laver didn't also have the same luxury.

In the Open Era, yes but usually not in the Old Pro Tour.

The point I was trying to make is that a larger tournament doesn't necessarily make it a tougher one if your first four rounds are easy wins. That's true of Laver, Tilden, Federer, Rosewall, Gonzalez and any great. Many try to say that Laver had it easier because some of his tournaments were not as large as some today. As you can see by an earlier post I wrote on this thread Laver did quite well in larger OPEN tournaments from 1968 onward. So I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have won around the same number of tournaments as he did in actual life. He probably wouldn't have been playing Rosewall, Gonzalez and Hoad every week in a full Open Era from the beginning of his career and that would make it easier for him in that way.

A tough eight man tournament may be much tougher than an easy 32 man tournament or 64 man tournament. Sometime it's much tougher than a 128 man tournament.

Last edited by pc1 : 10-27-2012 at 10:22 AM.
pc1 is offline   Reply With Quote