View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Dan Lobb
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodjem View Post
(This thread is not about who is the GOAT. Rather it is about how these GOAT discussions are trending.)

It occurs to me that since Fed has overtaken Pete in the slams count and tied his 7 Wimbers titles, Sampras is seldom mentioned in the GOAT discussions any more.

Pete's reputation seems to have been largely based(by himself?) on his total slam count number and his seven Wimbledon titles.

Lately the discussion has been about Fed and Laver, or Hoad, or Gonzales or Rosewall, (or maybe Tilden being mentioned). It seems to be about (what I call) apples versus oranges, or players who are difficult to compare (as opposed to easy) because so much history has elapsed and conditions have changed so much.

I don't know whether this is correct, but I do think that Sampras has engineered his own irrelevance by putting so much emphasis on slam count totals, and not on other aspects of his record.
Certainly, his refusal to learn how to play on clay has hurt his ranking, because the greatest players, even Gonzales, won some important clay titles.
Dan Lobb is offline   Reply With Quote