View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #114
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRPolice View Post
We know that a top tier player of a certain NTRP is well ahead of someone at the bottom of that same NTRP. Even the NTRP guidelines describe the results of a "high end" player vs. a "low end" player resulting in 0-0 type scores.

Why do you still think that once you factor age and gender into the mix that somehow things become more balanced?

You do realize that a lot of "nationals level" players play at multiple levels and attend multiple national championships in the same year right? You also realize that a lot of those players are in fact computer rated right?

I know people on this forum think that people of NTRP's below them are absolutely terrible, but you'd be surprised how good some of these players are especially at the highest level of play. Type of rating doesnt matter either. I looked at the Caribbean 3.0 team this year and all of their players are C rated.

I still dont see how you fail to understand that "mixed" is the most diverse league in USTA and of all leagues to "assume everyone is in the middle of their NTRP" is just absurd. If we were talking only about adult league sectionals then you'd make a little sense.

Regular season play of adult mixed literally has "everything" and "everyone" playing in it.
Let me try it this way:

Let's say someone claimed that women sprinters are lightyears ahead of male sprinters. They support this claim by pointing out that women's world record for the 100 meters is 10 seconds, but the best 80+ male sprinter does 100 meters in 14 seconds. So women are faster sprinters than men.

That would be *stupid,* right?

Well, you are claiming that a male 2.5 is lightyears ahead of a 3.5 woman. When everyone chortled at this, you say the male is national level whereas the woman is an overweight senior. Don't you see why this is fooling no one?

Why you keep bringing up the Caribbean male 3.0 team that competed at nationals is beyond me. I mean, who cares? We all know that players at Nationals are usually at the top of their rating level and as much as 1-2 levels higher.

Anyway, if we are going to compare apples to apples, I think you would agree with me that your 3.5 woman at nationals is lightyears stronger than your 2.5 man at nationals. Right?