View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walton123 View Post
I see I was not clear.
At 10 minute(before the 2hours up) players should have stopped, finish game then choose appropriate match end - 2nd set incomplete as they were at 4-4 but under 3minutes remained(not the full 10minutes). What needed to happen next was begin 9pt tiebreak which did happen after check of rules (you can stop and determine appropriate match end procedure).....that tiebreak went to 1-1 then timed out, next should have been 1pt to determine set 2 and if opponent won that play 1pt (sudden death) to determine match....but opponent walked off as agitated that our player checked rules at the 4-4 mark in second set w/less that 3 minutes to go......
points were long, time was short and nobody stopped at 10min mark which might have avoided all of this.
Ah, I see. You're in one of those timed match leagues where they decide to stop play at an arbitrary point before time is called and then set out an elaborate system for the players to finish the match.

Me, I have never been a fan of such systems because they give you the bizarro results you had in this match. Players are and should be focused on winning points, not watching the clock. If they fail to keep track of time (or fail to remember the bizarro rules), they can miss the Magic Cut-off. Then there is no way to fix things within the rules.

I think the way our league does it is better. You play, and you keep right on playing until time is up or someone wins. If there is a tie, you play a sudden death point. Easy, peasy.

Anyway, it's hard to know what was upsetting to your opponent without hearing her side of the story. Perhaps she simply didn't understand the rule herself? Or maybe the players agreed they would just keep playing despite the 10-minute rule and then your player changed her mind?

Let us know what happens. I can't see how or why she would file a grievance if the events were exactly as you say. Something else may have happened that we/you don't yet know about.