View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
UCSF2012
Hall Of Fame

Quick google search brought this up:

"The dwell time of the ball on the strings should increase as the inverse of the square root of the tension; measurements made in the lab bear this out. In addition, the dwell time of the ball on the strings decreases the harder the ball is hit, because the strings become effectively stiffer the more they are forced to deform...
The actual time of contact for a normal shot with normal string tension is about 4 or 5 thousandths of a second. By reducing the string tension and not hitting hard you might be able to increase the dwell time to about 6 or 7 thousandths of a second... These times are so much shorter than your reaction or reflex time that you cannot possibly do anything to change [the way you are hitting] the shot while the ball is on the strings... A longer dwell time also means that the shock of the ball being hit is spread over a longer time; the magnitude of the force at any given time is therefore reduced... If you wish to alleviate arm troubles such as tennis elbow, reducing the tension of your racket strings will not only lessen the initial shock transmitted to your arm but will give you more power from the racket. You will not have to swing so hard, which is kinder to your arm..."

In summary, pvaudio doesn't know jack. And I guess I was wrong about the touch volley exception. Perhaps I was just using a loose grip.

Last edited by UCSF2012 : 10-31-2012 at 07:48 PM.
UCSF2012 is offline   Reply With Quote