View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #61
kiki
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY1 View Post
Regarding music and teen fans etc - the following statement rings true... "In years gone by, if you were special you became famous, these days if your famous your considered special"!
I would'nt consider myself old (44) but I think Hoad, Laver, Rosewall, Connors, Borg, McEnroe etc would be just as good as Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi, Becker etc if they had today's equipment & balls!
I remember watching Connors aged 34 (nearly 35) in 1987 beat Cash (that year's Wimbledon champion) in the semi-final in straight sets and then next day play Becker in The Queens Club final, I sat in the front row behind the court both times, Connors was a set & break up against the defending Wimbledon champion. He was taking Becker & his game apart only to get a few tough line calls and ended up losing in three very close sets.
IN THEIR PRIME HEAD TO HEADS:
Hoad v Djokovic 6 - 4
Laver v Becker 7 - 3
Rosewall v Nadal 3 - 7
Connors v Sampras 5 - 5
Mcenroe v Agassi 5 - 5
Borg v Federer 4 -6
Looking forward to Kiki's and everyone elses 'Prime head to head's........
I agree with that motto.Very true.

As for H2H, it is almost impossible to tell.Court conditions are completely different so, even with same equipment,balls,strings ( and Id pick mid 80s rackets that would be the most neutral), still court conditions change.only CC are reasonably comparable, hard court was rare then and very popular now, just the opposite to indoor fast carpet.Of course, the only common thing between former grass and current grass is the colour remains green - and that may change as well...How do you make, in any case, the split of the ten matches per surface?

if we talk about current clay, maybe Nadal vs Rosewall is 7-3 but, of course, that would be the other way round on old carpet/wood and former grass.