View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #217
Mustard
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Many people including myself don't expect any player to break his slam record, and certainly not a span of 6 years(2003-2009). This is the reason why his goat status went down. Especially when his era is comparable to Federer(eg slams having 3 surfaces, no split fields).
I was mentioning before that the only thing now that Sampras has done that Federer hasn't, is finish 6 calendar years as world number 1. Everything else Sampras has done, Federer seems to have equalled or surpassed. Unless I'm missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Had Fed never broke Sampras's record, or let say he won only 12 slams, but he managed to win a Grand Slam. Guess what? The situation between Laver and Sampras would be reverse. Sampras would still be strong in contention as a goat, because he still has his 14 slam records. But Laver, his most impressive achievement is the 69 GS is overshadowed by Roger's modern GS. Laver would take a big hit. No doubt.
Why do you think a Grand Slam is harder today than in 1969? The grass-courts of Brisbane, Wimbledon and Forest Hills were very different in 1969. Brisbane was hot and high bouncing for a grass-court, Wimbledon had a firm bounce for the most part, but Forest Hills had awful muddy conditions where the ball seldom bounced much at all.

Last edited by Mustard : 11-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote