View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #220
Dan Lobb
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyOne View Post
You miss the point again, I'm afraid: Rosewall, Hoad, Cooper and others did NOT cope with the seasoned pros for several MONTHS. Winning one match does not mean too much. For instance you know that Gonzalez beat Cooper 14:0 matches.

You belittle Rosewall when writing that he only beat Laver in early 1963 because Laver got tired.

Dan, I cannot understand that you use to give strange statements and that you accept to get so many boxes on the ears by myself and others. I cannot imagine it's pleasant for you. Sometimes I have the impression that you just want to provoke contradiction. But I respect your great knowledge about tennis history.
My friend, I am simply quoting the raw facts, which I anticipate will be painful for some sensitive people. I apologize for that, and in advance for what I am about to say.
Laver played considerable "practice" matches against his pals Hoad and Rosewall for some time before the contract was signed in Jan. 63. Laver made a relatively painless transition, and was worth every point of his victory over Rosewall at Kooyong, the biggest match of the tour.
Sure, Laver needed to learn something about cutting down the swing on his volleys, but he never got over that 100%.
Rosewall, however, started to falter in 1964 (yes, 1964!) when he ran out of gas in the Wembley final. A triumph of youth over age.
Hoad adjusted quickly to the pro game, After a very painful start, he was soon dominating everyone on tour. He started pro play on July 14, and by a month later was up to snuff (thanks to some unofficial coaching by Kramer to boost his confidence).
Cooper and Anderson learned quickly, and won important tournaments within a few short months.

I think that the overall quality of amateur play in the 60's was similar or superior to the pro's, given Emerson's strong start in 1968, and Emmo was already 30 years old. It was only the intervention of Lamar Hunt, who raided most of the up-and-coming young talent in the amateurs, and paid them "Handsomely" more than the "established" pros, that left the amateur ranks short of talent.
The "amateurs" of the 60's were getting more money than the pros, or so it seems.

Last edited by Dan Lobb : 11-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Dan Lobb is offline   Reply With Quote