View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #51
hollywood9826
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblakefan#1 View Post
Don't look now, but the team everyone always ignores (except for me), San Antonio looks ready to make another run at it. They were the team to beat last year before OKC did just that. Still one of if not the deepest lineup in the league, and a system they know works.
Dont talk about the Spurs please. Just let them lay low under the radar please. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
I don't know if they were the team to beat from the get go last year, but they undeniably became the team to beat.

When you have Pops and Timmy, you can do a lot of things wrong and still win. They're not flashy, never been, but they get easy buckets, and that's always fun to watch. So I don't understand why people say they're boring.

As Kenny Smith said last year: "They're surgical."
The Spurs of the early Duncan era were slow methodical teams. Somehow they have held onto that mantle becuse they dont play the one on one matchup game like most teams. They are incredibly efficient and dont have tons of highlight reels dunks. But I agree they are not boring. Anyone that says so just wants to watch Blake Griffin brick 8 footers and throw down putback dunks all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
Maybe I"m not the wisest of the basketball critics.....
How can 2-3" of height make any difference in defense? Even giving away 20-30- lbs shouldn't matter much, because defense is positioning, and the desire to stay between your man and the basket. Defense is about being active, moving your feet, staying in balance, and knowing what's behind you and where to steer your man.
I know commentators are always pointing out pure physical size. They are pointing out only the basics for the average beer drinking, tv watching joe.
Lots of great defensive players are not bigger than the guys they defend. They have to be smarter, to WANT to play defense, to be active with their feet AND their hands, to watch film to notice tendencies, and to play tough when possible.
2-4" at the point makes no difference, just like that difference at the 2 or 3 or 4 makes no difference.

Weight is important however. With all that stuff you mentioned (which I agree with) part of D is also preventing your man from getting to the spot on the floor he wants to. It easier to keep a man at bay when he can just push through you. And it works that way on Offense as well. Most small guys cant get to rim and finish with a high percentage. Hardens height and size over the rest of guys we have mentioned alows him to do that.