View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
dominikk1985
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly View Post
For the most part, this is an excellent perspective on the FH stroke -- it further clarifies what I was saying in posts #3 and #7. However, I must take exception to the parts that I've bolded above. The torso/body might very well slow down prior to contact, but it does not stop rotating until well after contact. Once the "arm" stage of the rocket fires, the body continues to rotate for the FH (or a 2-handed BH). However, much of the later rotation of the torso/body is because of the momentum of the racket, racket arm and racket shoulder. Because the back shoulder continues to come around for the contact and follow-thru, the torso/body are pulled around with it.

OTOH, the torso often does stop rotating for the 1-handed BH of elite players. Since the back shoulder/arm is not attached to the racket, the back shoulder does not need to come around and, therefore, the torso can stop completely well before contact. This represents a more complete kinetic chain transfer than the FH mechanics.
I agree. the shoulders do follow through because of the momentum but they are not actively accelerated all the way through contact.

I think a more aprupt stopping is a sign of a good energy transfer. however it is bad if you decelerate the shoulders prematurely. if you want to achieve a dead stop you will probably slow down too early so trying this is bad either.

I would just concentrate to rotate the hips and spine and then you stop accelerating them and feel how all the energy is now in the arm and shoulder muscles. the shoulders are probably not going to stop completely but there is no further energy wasted in accelerating them through contact. they will slow down and the arm and racket is really ripped though the zone.

look at this discus thrower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz2FMoj9tpo

His arm is by no means passively whipped through but it is passive till the chest is nearly facing the target and almost has slowed down to zero.
dominikk1985 is offline   Reply With Quote