View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #32
mad dog1
Hall Of Fame

Tension used for playtest: 44#s strung on an electronic CP machine
Regular string set up: my regular string setup for this racquet is a full bed of syn gut @ 48# or syn gut/poly @ 48/46
Racquet brand and model used for test: Head PT280
Power of test string: low so i'm glad i strung it at 44#s. at 44#s, i was able to get the right amount of pop from the string bed. had i tried it at 46-50#s, i'm sure i would've been complaining about lack of power.
Feel: this string is all about control. directional and depth control were just super easy w/ this setup. you want to drive it deep? no problem. just swing freely and it lands a foot or 2 inside the baseline. you get a short ball and want to step in and hit a sharp angle? no problem, dial up a little more spin and the ball obliges. it offers good feel for a stiffer crisp poly. doesn't pocket the ball great. dwell time doesn't feel as long as with Discho Iontec.
Spin: compared to most other round polys, the spin is really great. topspin wise, it's not as good as the best TS string Tour Bite, but slices are awesome! slices stay low to the ground and have good bite and break to them.
Comfort: Average for a poly. This is a stiff string so the comfort is below avg compared to some of the softer polys. Not too bad, but comfort is not the stand out trait of this string.
Durability: i have hit for 4.5 hours with this string so far and no issues w/ durability. the string has lost most of its elasticity and its performance, but it's still playable. there are some signs of notching in the mains, but nothing too serious. given that the PT280 has a tight 18x20 pattern, the string died first just as i expected.
Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): This string plays great straight off the stringing machine. after about 60 mins of hard hitting, i could feel a bit of tension loss. control was still very good. the playability remains pretty consistent through 3.5 hours. i can feel the string bed losing tension and the strings start to stiffen up a bit at this point, but the control is excellent still - nothing that can't be adjusted for. i felt a little loss of comfort, but again, nothing too extreme. after the 3rd hitting session by 4-4.5 hours the string bed is starting to deaden. there's significantly less pop and less spin. good feel still but balls are starting to land long. i switched to another stick which was freshly strung at the same time as i strung up the PT280 with only a few minutes of play time on it and the control, spin, and pop was back confirming that the Super Smash Orange had indeed lost most of its elasticity.
Control (predictable trajectory? performance on different strokes and swing speeds?): Great control. the ball went where i was aiming it. it was easy to hit a variety of shots. slice, topspin, flatten out the shot, sharp angles on both forehand and backhand sides. just so easy. on quick reflex volleys where the ball trampolines off the string bed and lands long with softer, more elastic strings, Super Smash was great. no trampolining. just great control.
Compare to the string you use most often: better control and spin, but less comfort.
Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): 44# was pretty spot on although due to the stiffness of the string, i would experiment stringing a 1-2#s lower next time to see if I can maintain close to the same amount of control w/ more comfort.
Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes. This is a great string! I really enjoy hitting with it! Primary likes: CONTROL, CONTROL, and MORE CONTROL. I hope it's offered in a reel for ~$100-110. i'd definitely pick up a reel and experiment w/ some hybrids to increase the comfort and also to increase string life. Dislikes: other than comfort and short lifespan, none really. the comfort wasn't a huge issue as the lower tension allowed the string bed to play relatively comfortable.

Thanks, TW and Kirschbaum!

Last edited by mad dog1 : 11-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
mad dog1 is offline   Reply With Quote