View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
chatt_town
Hall Of Fame

Yea, we had this exact same arguement in another thread. I had a similiar situation where I hit a lob...initially thought it was short and told my partner to get back....he reversed and took two running steps towards the lob and once he saw it had a lot of top spin and he couldn't make it turned and tried to call a hindrance. I was having none of it for a couple of reasons. They as well as us had been doing that the whole match....He was about 6'9 and was heavy and we had lobbed them to death. So he was tired and that's why he tried what he did. I didn't honor it and we took the point. I understand rules but there has to be some sense of common sense in there. "You can't get two chances at the point" and that was exactly the language I used in the other thread. People want to at times massage the rules and use them when it's convenient. Maybe you didn't do that but I've seen quite a few people who do. A guy tried to call a foot fault at the end of a second set after I'd been serving and volleying for two sets and killing them with a 30 mph serve but was stinging vollies...I said okay...and took a step back did the same thing on the second serve. When I went to the other side and called it on him...he tried to raise hell. lol He wasn't even serving and volleying. So it backfired on him. He had both feet in the court but had the nerve to call it on me. lol This was doubles by the way. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Y View Post
There are many times that I want to call a hindrance. I have found that doubles players often talk to each other during points when the ball is traveling toward their opponent, but that is a hindrance. Even on a weak lob, yelling to your partner "Get back!" is a hindrance.

One time in a match when I was hitting my overhead well (and frequently right at my opponents), during a tiebreak point the girl on the other team hit a weaker lob, and I was running up to smash it, and her male partner was at the net. When she saw me running up, she yelled "WATCH OUT WATCH OUT WATCH OUT!" in a very loud scream. They did this often during the match when I was hitting my overheads, but this was particularly egregious. This scream was so loud and sudden that it distracted me for a second, and I actually stopped for a split-second and looked around. For all I knew a car was out of control and barreling onto the court. But I went to hit the overhead, and framed it, and it went out. I was very mad and I then called a hindrance, and a large argument ensued. I didn't know the exact rule at the time, and neither did anyone on the court. We decided that if she was yelling that when the ball was on their side of the court, it wasn't a hindrance, and I decided that I didn't know what side of the court the ball was on, so I dropped the hindrance claim. So yes, we made up an incorrect rule on the spot.

I looked it up later, and I was wrong, but for a different reason. I had every right to call a hindrance, based on the yelling when I was about to hit the overhead. You cannot talk to your partner when the ball is traveling toward your opponents, you can only talk with your partner when the ball is traveling toward you. But I hit the ball, and I cannot call a hindrance once I hit the ball. By doing that, I gave myself two chances to win the point.

But it seems to me that so many people in doubles yell things to their partner when the ball is traveling toward their opponent, and very few people know the rule. So I have just decided that I am not going to make hindrance calls, unless the opponent is saying things to deliberately mess me up. It just causes too much confusion and causes too many arguments and it is just not worth the trouble. I just need to concentrate and finish the overhead.
chatt_town is offline   Reply With Quote