View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
KevinB9986
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstringz View Post
I think this green ball is the best thing to ever happen to the 10 yr old diviions. Its been 6-8 years since my kids have been in 10 and under. I saw one of the sectional tournaments recently and was shocked that the kids were hitting flatter top spin shots and actually constructing points. Back when they used normal balls there was moon balling with really crappy strokes. The kids who won were mostly heavy big kids who could hit the live ball too fast for any little kid to cover. The other kids were the dinkers and moonballers who just tried to hit high and bounce the ball out of strike zones. The tennis was horrible and a waste of time back with the live ball. Kids back then were rewarded for hitting frusteating type of shots instead of building technique and strategy. I can see the improvement in technique already. Thank you USTA for making the move to low compression for the little ones.
I have mixed feelings about green dots. I'm teaching my kid topsin serve and the greendot takes away from the bounce. Also, part of tennis is to be able to play against the people that have perfected the junk it up game with their bad strokes. A lot of the points with green dots end in accidental drop shots. On the other hand it enables smaller kids to be able to hit with the bigger kids making the points longer. So everyone gets to work on making their legs stronger.