View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl View Post
In districts two years ago I unwittingly initiated a hindrance call. The opponents hit a short lob that I was about to hit. The lobee yelled very loudly to warn his partner. I genuinely was distracted and missed the the overhead ... however, I know that after missing the shot it could no longer be considered a hindrance.

I knew I could not have two bites at the apple but, I asked the guy not to yell mid point in the future. This fellow got quite upset, and was certain that he was allowed to warn his partner and called the referee over. He was surprised to to learn that he could not yell in this instance. Furthermore the ref had heard this commotion but was uncertain which court it had come from... it was quite a loud warning ... When he learned it was from our opponents during play he awarded us the point, despite my admittance that I had missed the ball.

This is the only time I have ever "called" or had called a hindrance on my court.
Sounds like the official blew it.

I have a similar story from 2011 nationals involving my teammates.

We were playing the finals at Nationals for 3.5 seniors. We had won one court and lost another, so it all came down to Court Three. Which was in a 10-point tiebreak, with our gals down 5-6.

In the middle of a point, opponents lobbed our net player. Her partner ran down the lob, hit it back and then shouted to her partner, "Stay, Kelly!" The opponent then missed the shot and appealed to the official stationed at the net. (Honestly, yell was well before she hit the ball, but I would guess the opponent would claim otherwise).

The official said to replay the point. Which we lost. So instead of 6-6, it was 5-7. We then went on to lose that tiebreak. Ouch.