View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #33
NTRPolice
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Sounds like the official blew it.

I have a similar story from 2011 nationals involving my teammates.

We were playing the finals at Nationals for 3.5 seniors. We had won one court and lost another, so it all came down to Court Three. Which was in a 10-point tiebreak, with our gals down 5-6.

In the middle of a point, opponents lobbed our net player. Her partner ran down the lob, hit it back and then shouted to her partner, "Stay, Kelly!" The opponent then missed the shot and appealed to the official stationed at the net. (Honestly, yell was well before she hit the ball, but I would guess the opponent would claim otherwise).

The official said to replay the point. Which we lost. So instead of 6-6, it was 5-7. We then went on to lose that tiebreak. Ouch.
If she had not played the ball, it wouldnt be a "let" and would be a loss of point. Normally these types of outbursts are declared "intentional" and therefore loss of point. The official must have ruled it "unintentional" and therefore a replay.

This is a prime example of "you cannot have two chances to win a point".

For unintentional hindrances its a let.
For intentional hindrances, its a loss of point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
From all this discussion it appears I'm probably in the minority of players who have never called a hindrance in league play. I've been playing USTA and our local league regularly since 2005 and have yet to call a hindrance on an opponent in either doubles or singles. In fact I don't think I've even warned an opponent who I thought was exhibiting questionable behavior that what they were doing (e.g. yelling while the ball was headed towards us) might be construed as a hindrance. I have however discussed it with a doubles partner when I thought their actions might be considered a hindrance by the other team. The flip side of that coin is that I've also never had an opponent call a hindrance on me or my partner either.
I've never called a hindrance on anyone. I dont think there are too many hindrance (due to yelling) in singles in rec tennis. I'm going to say most, if not all hindrance calls are going to be in doubles, usually by a player trying to communicate to their partner at the net.

It's a terrible habit to do that anyway. The one time someone calls you on it is going to be the one time you cant afford to lose the point because of something silly.

Yelling "Watchout!" is just as much of a bad idea as "catching" a ball that's going long. I've seen it before, and im sure ill see it again, where a player catches a ball with their racket (or hand) that's clearly going long causing a loss of point.

Some things are just not good to "practice" even in practice.