View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
gmatheis
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
FWIW, NTRPolice, I disagree that it is a bad idea to warn your partner of a short lob.

I have had partners explicitly ask me to warn them of short lobs. I give the warning if I think of it, and I appreciate it when they do it for me.

Yes, giving a warning runs the microscopic risk that some opponent someday might claim hindrance and claim the point. Failing to give a warning, however, risks that (1) your net player will be surprised by a short lob, and (2) that partner will dislike playing with you because you throw up short lobs but won't warn.

I think if we took a show of hands of how many people here have ever had an opponent claim hindrance if they say "Short" or "Watch it" or "Watch out" when they hit a short lob, very few people would say this happens.

I think it happens even less at the higher levels because players know that giving a warning is quite common.
Actually the reason it happens less at higher levels is because people actually follow the rules which say you are not allowed to talk while the ball is traveling towards your opponent ... i dont care how innocent you think it is, the rules say not to do it and every time you do you are breaking the rules whether you get called on it or not.

Also at higher levels people know what's going on and don't need such warnings.