View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #43
leroy_sunset
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
But . . . *why* did you call her on it?

Were you genuinely hindered? Did you start lining up your shot and then not play the ball? If you didn't play the smash, how could you chalk it up to being a warning? If you call a hindrance, then the point is over and it is your point.
Yes, it did hinder me. It was probably the 6th time so far in the match she had done so, she said it loudly, and it threw me off. I was hindered. I was in the middle of my wind-up motion when she called out. I did swing at the ball, but I guess the best way to describe it was that I called out "hey!" as I swung the racquet. I hit the overhead into the net, about half speed. I approached the net as a follow-through of moving forward for the smash and said "I'm calling that a hindrance."

She could have argued that I played the overhead and was too late to call it. That would have been a reasonable position to take, but I genuinely wasn't trying for a "second shot" at the point. But she never even said anything like that. It was clear I objected before I hit the ball. She stated a false rule. And I submit that any USTA official would have called that a hindrance if present. I admit hitting the ball at all was a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
Are you so distractable that the rather common event of someone warning of an impending smash that it could make you miss?
Ya, and I don't think it's an uncommon characteristic. It bothers me when the peanut gallery is talking while I serve. It bothers me when players yell out on adjacent courts. Hell, it bothers pro players when fans are walking in the stands (which isn't something I would ever notice). Maybe I'm sensitive, but that's why the rule exists. Tennis is an honorable sport, and I wouldn't call it unless I was truly hindered. That was the 1st time in 15 years of tennis I ever called it.
leroy_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote