View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

I live in Atlanta and during a League Tennis match ran into a guy like this. He developed a reputation in our division for blatant cheating and others said he was far worse than in our match. He was an older guy and had trouble keeping his cool and energy up.

I easily winning the first set and he started calling anything close to a line out. He would take a long pause, walk slowly to where the ball bounced, and say, "I guess I'll have to call that out" as if he were reluctantly calling the ball out and really, really wanted to give me the point.

I left the court and gave him the match when on game point he called a soft drop shot out because he couldn't get to it. When I very calmly explained that he coould have the match and to have a great season he grew agitated and claimed the ball left a mark and it was clearly out, yadda, yadda, yadda. It was on my home court, it was perfectly dry, it was sunny, and the shot couldn't be any softer. It left no mark and I was next to the point of bounce and he was as far cross court as one could be which is why he couldn't get to the ball.

Others in the division said his cheating got worse the more he was losing. I simply didn't go that far with him.

In the future I'll handle blatant cheaters differently. As another TT member advised the best apporach is to simply start calling every shot of the cheater out. When he protests explain that it's "my call" and if he's going cheat I can call good shots out too and that a better alternative is for him to stop cheating and just play the match.

It needs to be blatant too. It's very easy to make mistakes and tough to see from the far side of the court.

During a recent ITF juniors tournament here in Atlanta the male players frequently missed calls, especially on serve. And they frequently accused one another of cheating. But even officials can be very wrong. I watched the boys (high school aged) semi-finals and one of the chair umpires was terrible. He called out the wrong score three times and was corrected by the players. He also missed obvious calls which upset the players and drew looks of shock from the spectators. On more than one occassion a player looked embarrassed as his opponent argued an obviously bad call by the chair but he wouldn't budge. Finally a spectator called in an ITF official to monitor the situation.

Last edited by TimothyO : 11-07-2012 at 06:34 AM.
TimothyO is offline   Reply With Quote