View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #43
Say Chi Sin Lo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennismonkey View Post
if mazda's idea for the new rx-7 is a $20-25k two seater/2+2 like the new subaru BRZ/scion FR-S -- then i think this is a great idea. lightweight rotary engine and supreme handling would make for a fun car. if mazda is making a competitor for the 350z or 335i in the $30k+ price range -- i think it's a fail. rotary is too low on hp and torque and fuel/oil economy.
I hope not. From a marketing standpoint, if Mazda price the new RX-7 as low as $20-25k, it'll de-value the RX-7 brand/image. RX-7 has established itself as a premium, no-nonsense sports car. It was originally designed to compete with the likes of Porsche. You can't price the car at the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ and say you want to compete with Porsche. If the RX-7 is in the conversation with the NSX's, 911's, GT-R's, etc., it can't be priced that low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres View Post
Yeah, different sort of feel to the RX-8. The 350Z is definitely heavier, and more from the 'old school' bruiser class of coupe, heavier inputs needed, stiffer ride and bit more jittery on the limit but a fun drive nonetheless and the engine just blows the RX-8 off the road. Noticeably more power (around 300bhp from what I can remember), much more low down torque, more more usable rev range, creamy smooth yet makes a great sound. You can even hit 70mph in 2nd gear!
I don't know about the sound. I found it to be fake, "tries too hard", and ultimately super annoying. That drone made me not want to go onto the highway.
Say Chi Sin Lo is offline   Reply With Quote