View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
jmnk
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1029 View Post
First of all, in juniors, it is a mandatory 3 minute rest period between 2nd set and MTB (not optional), so they cannot decide to not take the 3 minute break.

The player is not required to stay on the court. It is on the court or in an area nearby the court. I don't know how far the player had to go, but if it was not specified what is considered "nearby the court", the player can go inside for the rest period, if he can make it back and be ready to play in 3 minutes. If the player wants to take a toilet/change of attire break before the match tiebreak. He needs to tell the official ahead of time, and then AFTER the 3 minute rest break is over, he can go to the bathroom. If he does not let the official know that he has to use the bathroom, the official is going to assume that he is just late from the rest period, and the lateness penalty applies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow1029 View Post
THat is only if you play a full third set. If it's a match tiebreak, it's a time violation at 3:00, code violation point penalty at 3:20 and code violation game penalty at 3:40.
many thanks for the comments. This is fascinating. Now I MUST know.

As far as leaving the court (by 'the court' I also mean 'nearby area'). So during those rest periods the player is allowed to leave the court --without-- explicit permission from the umpire? I thought that per IV)C)5) of the code "Once a match with a Chair Umpire has begun, a player may not leave the court without permission from the Chair Umpire" at no time a player is allowed to leave the court. Are you saying that this section somehow does not apply to rest periods? What else is than also excluded?

As far as penalty. So actually in 2012 rulebook there's Table 15 on Time violations. 3 minute Rest Period is explicitly stated in that table. And the penalty is: first offense:Warning, Each Additional: One point penalty.
So how do I apply it? I suppose since than can be only one 3 minute rest in a match (before match tiebreak) than Each Additional violation would mean not being ready to play at 3:20, 3:40,4:00 and so on mark? I suppose the magical 20 seconds increment comes from Table14 where Code Violations and Penalties are listed? But than in that Table14 the penalties for 'not being ready to play within 20seconds of having been directed to resume play' is point->game->default? So do I apply penalty under Table14 or Table15?

p.s. I have no other agenda here other than a need to know that stuff. i know neither the players in that incident, nor the umpire.
jmnk is offline   Reply With Quote