View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
woodrow1029
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnk View Post
many thanks for the comments. This is fascinating. Now I MUST know.

As far as leaving the court (by 'the court' I also mean 'nearby area'). So during those rest periods the player is allowed to leave the court --without-- explicit permission from the umpire? I thought that per IV)C)5) of the code "Once a match with a Chair Umpire has begun, a player may not leave the court without permission from the Chair Umpire" at no time a player is allowed to leave the court. Are you saying that this section somehow does not apply to rest periods? What else is than also excluded?

As far as penalty. So actually in 2012 rulebook there's Table 15 on Time violations. 3 minute Rest Period is explicitly stated in that table. And the penalty is: first offense:Warning, Each Additional: One point penalty.
So how do I apply it? I suppose since than can be only one 3 minute rest in a match (before match tiebreak) than Each Additional violation would mean not being ready to play at 3:20, 3:40,4:00 and so on mark? I suppose the magical 20 seconds increment comes from Table14 where Code Violations and Penalties are listed? But than in that Table14 the penalties for 'not being ready to play within 20seconds of having been directed to resume play' is point->game->default? So do I apply penalty under Table14 or Table15?

p.s. I have no other agenda here other than a need to know that stuff. i know neither the players in that incident, nor the umpire.
As far as how to read the time violation table, you also have to look back at the code violation table as well. You cannot receive back to back time violations. As stated in the code violation table, it is a code violation for day of game when 20 seconds passes after receiving a time violation.

Time violation, point penalties are assessed for each subsequent time violation after the warning, but only after one point has been played or a changeover has occurred since the previous time violation. So, it is a time violation warning, then code violation for delay of game after 20 seconds point penalty, then code violation for delay of game after 20 seconds, game penalty.

You can always leave the court during an authorized rest break (rest period between 2nd and 3rd set, rain delay, etc.)
woodrow1029 is offline   Reply With Quote