View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #316
NadalDramaQueen
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1 View Post
Hoodjem,

I do think a lot of the GOAT discussions don't take into account the changing values of what is important in the tennis world and how superior a player is compared to his contemporaries. Even then I wonder if some subjectivity should be taken into account on whether the player may have had some stroke deficiencies. The formula for simply counting majors to analyze greatness is greatly flawed to me in an infinite amount of ways.

For example Bill Tilden is arguably the most dominant player of all time but he is behind in majors to a number of players. Is he an inferior player to them? Perhaps or perhaps not.

We don't have enough stats about the past in tennis unlike baseball in which we can compared teams on winning percentage or run differential among other things. People like Joe McCauley, Andrew Tas and Robert Geist has helped us tremendously in this area and hopefully we can get more information in the future.

May not be able to post for a while because a huge hurricane is coming my way and power may be out for more than a week.
Hey pc1,

I hope you made it through the storm in one piece.

Last edited by NadalDramaQueen : 11-07-2012 at 06:16 PM.
NadalDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote