View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Polaris
Hall Of Fame

The LOTR movies were a superb adaptation of the LOTR books. It was apparent that, not only Jackson, but Fran Walsh and Phillippa Boyens and much of the brains behind the films were obsessed with Tolkien. It was big business, and I did have some misgivings with the third film, but all-in-all, it was an excellent adaptation. Besides that, it was well acted, well cast, had beautiful music, incredible locales and was a landmark in modern cinema. Those who haven't seen it on the big screen have missed one of the spectacular films of all time.

With that record, I am unconcerned and in fact eager to watch The Hobbit. If there was one director who could make the film, then Jackson has shown with LOTR that he is the one. In the reading, The Hobbit seems much more playful than LOTR, and I suspect that this will be the case with the movies as well.

That said, I can understand where the OP is coming from. I recently finished Midnight's Children which is more ridiculously awesome than a book has any right to be, and am really not enthused about watching the film version coming out this year, even though Rushdie helped with the screenplay. I want to protect the story in my head for a little longer.

Last edited by Polaris : 11-07-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote