View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM   #12
jaybear1909
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
You are wrong. You are not allowed to cross the net to go look for a mark. It's against the code whether you go around the net or jump over it, but IMO jumping over the net makes you seem like even more of a jerk.

What the rule actually says: If playing on a clay court and you call a close ball out, you are supposed to check the mark to verify. You can also ask your opponents to check the mark on a call they make, but they don't have to show it to you, and you are not entitled to go check it yourself.

From the code:

21. Making calls on clay courts. If any part of a ball mark touches a line on a clay court, the ball shall be called good. If only part of the mark on a court can be seen, this means that the missing part is on a line or tape. A player should take a careful second look at any point-ending placement that is close to a line on a clay court. Occasionally a ball will strike the tape, jump, and then leave a full mark behind the line. This does not mean that a player is required to show an opponent the mark. The opponent shall not pass the net to inspect a mark. If a player hears the sound of a ball striking the
tape and sees a clean spot on the tape near the mark, the player should give the point to the opponent.
But I saw JMac do it!

If you're going to intentionally call the ball out because neither you nor your wife could reach it, I think that's wrong. I guess I could have just asked from my side of the net, but it wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

Darn my young legs.
jaybear1909 is offline   Reply With Quote