View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #37
10ismom
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Bridge View Post
If you have a star player player in a medium to lower level area, he may win his matches easily. I am sure that Jack Sock didn't have too many close matches but he still wanted to play. The problem is that our sport could be so much more attractive to a broader spectrum of athletes if it had more credibility, and you gain credibility by upping the quality. When players play doubles and singles in all of their matches, they will improve much more quickly, the matches will more exciting with this format, and high school tennis will be much more affordable than USTA. We need to open up our minds to the positive changes this could bring about. College tennis is a blast because of the team atmosphere, and high school tennis, if improved a great deal, could also be an awesome team tennis experience.
It's a valid point to attract more athletes to tennis but I think this should be promoted earlier like in middle school tennis at age 11-13.
Tennis requires a lot of skills and take years to develop a decent player. If you attract an athletic kid as a new player at 14-15 in 9th-10th grade, it will be too late to develop 5 star, blue-chip or even a very good college player.

If lots of athletes already are crazy about tennis from middle school, keep taking lessons, practicing, competing then by high school their skills will be higher. High school tennis team will be more competitive to get into then you can build up the reputation there.

Middle school is a time to gear kids to tennis. I have seen many kids choose/change to join football, baseball or basketball team instead of tennis by middle school. Introducing mini-tennis in elementary school is even better to get more athletes to this sport.