View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
StringingIrvine
Semi-Pro

I too am on the same boat, I have been for the past 2 years. I always use MSV hex 18l mains and OGSM 18 crosses. I've consistantly played with a POG then Prestige MP and now a Pure Storm. Out of my 2 years of playing with this set up i've never have broken my crosses, its always the msv hex on the mains to go first.

Its fun to test strings, write reviews, recommend them to friends. However, I found on this hunt for the "magic set up" to make me a better player. Truth is there isn't that holy grail, so i decided to never change my string set up after two years and i could not be happier. Tension changes based on racket but other than that it's stayed relively the same.

Before there was that tiny part of me that wanted to say well its because these new strings have too much power, etc. That doubt has been removed by using the same set up for the past 2 years.

If a ball goes long, its me.
If a ball goes short, its me.
Not enough spin, its me.
Too much spin, its me.

Using the same set up gave me the ability to really magnify aspects of my game that needed improvement whereas using different string every two weeks added too many variables.

I just bought my fourth reel of msv hex and ogsm. =)

Anyone notice the price of OGSM went up a couple bucks? At least the 18g i've been using.

I know 18l and 18 are thin and a lot of people advise against it but i love the feel, and the bite. Not to mention it does make your racket a tiny bit more headlight compared to 17g or 16g. IMO my set up goes dead around the 3-4 week mark and my strings usually break around the 4 week mark so i don't ever have to worry about playing with bad strings.

I'm glad you found your peace with the poly / ogsm set up like i have =).