View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #32
Irvin
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Some, but not the full pulling tension. The diabolo is supporting some of the "weight".
The diablo supports none of the weight. If it did the weight would weigh less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad dog1 View Post
a 10 lb weight will weigh 10 lbs regardless of whether a diabolo is used or not.

the question is without the use of a diabolo, how much clamping pressure does the gripper need to apply to prevent the string from slipping through the jaws? and how much clamping pressure does the gripper need to apply to the string when a diabolo is used? your test can not possibly measure that.
With or without the diablo the tension on the string is the same. The gripper does not apply a gripping for to the string. The string moved the linear gripper forward. As the gripper moves forward the ball bearing riding in a track close the gripper plates and the gripper plates apply pressure to hold the string. Te greater the resisting force applied by the string the more the string is squeezed by the gripper plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad dog1 View Post
after the speed stringing and now this, i think irvin has fallen off his rocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
I suspect that Irvin is going to come back & point out that he is talking about his machine that has a fixed diabolo that doesn't move with the linear gripper. At least that's what I think he said a few posts back. To clarify, my question was in regards to a Babolat type diabolo that is fixed to the moving tensioner assembly.

Cheers,
kev

I reread irvins previous post about the Gamma diabolo & I think he was just talking about the tension head rocking to release the latch. So, the process should be the same on that machine as a Bab.
I know of no stringing machine where the gripper does not move with the gripper. I have a Gamma stringer and the diablo if fixed on the tensioner and moves with it. The front section of the gripper assembly is a pivot for the gripper but any less movement of the gripper plates and the diablo is so slight it can not make a difference. Take the Wise diablo it is bolted to the gripper assembly and gripper plates inside the linear gripper move the diablo again is fixed in relation to the gripper assembly.

I believe it was tbuggle that said earlier sometimes he used the diablo and some times he didn't. He didn't say whether he could tell the difference. I bet the cant. Take the Wise tensioner. Mine does not have a diablo. If i add a diablo will my tension be off?