View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
TimothyO
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysphinx View Post
I don't dispute what you say or what the rule is.

What I can say that I have played a bucket-load of USTA matches, and a lot of people talk/yell when they are supposed to be quiet. Yet I've never called a hindrance before and have never been called for one.

What that says to me is that players are not in fact as easily distractable as you suggest.

I guess what I am saying is that a player who claims a point due to hindrance if their opponent says something legitimate should be quite clear in their own mind that they were in fact hindered. I sensed in some of the posts that folks were calling hindrance due merely to the fact that the opponents talked and not necessarily because they were hindered by the talking.
An opponent hits a weak lob, you prepare to hit an overhead smash, the oppnent says, "Look out".

What does look out mean? Is it a warning to their partner? Is it a warning to you that you're about to step on an errant ball?

Volume, intent, etc. do not matter in this case.

Just show some self control and common courtesy and don't speak when the ball is heading towards your opponent.