View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #52
Cindysphinx
G.O.A.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyO View Post
I dislike it when I hit the ball out but a rule is a rule. If I hit out, I lose the point.

Whether or not the penaltY is called frequently the rule is there for good reason. Breaking it is, well, cheating, and you're basically putting your opponent in the unpleasant position of having to supervise YOUR behavior and adherence to the rules. And you're hoping they'll feel uncomfortable enough to not enforce the rule...
Sorry, I disagree.

It is common and understood that folks will warn their partners (or say things like "Stay") when the ball is on the way to the other side. This is not cheating.

It is something that can be punished if the other side chooses to claim hindrance. So long as I accept your hindrance call should you choose to make one, there is no problem and no one has cheated.

It's not me who is putting you in the unpleasant position of having to call a hindrance. The rule does that. After all, the rule could be written to say that talking is automatic loss of point. The rule is not that rigid, perhaps in recognition that minor and well-intentioned communication doesn't present a problem for most people.