View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
mlocke1322
Rookie

Tension used for playtest: 49

Regular string set up: Solinco Barb Wire or Tour Bite

Racquet brand and model used for test: Dunlop Bio Max200G

Power of test string: Fairly low powered in my opinion. Felt a bit more powerful than the Luxilon 4G I playtested recently but not nearly as much as say Tour Bite or Revolution. I felt like I needed to take big cuts at the ball to keep it deep.

Feel: Average feel for a full set of poly. Not as soft feeling as something like MSV Co-Focus or Focus Hex. I found volleying to be average. I wasn't quite able to drop the ball or angle it as much as I seem to be able to with Tour Bite or BW.

Spin: Average for a round, smooth poly. Spin felt about the same as Lux 4G. There wasn't nearly as much as I am used to as I play with shaped polys most of the time. There were shots where I felt more bite was needed and that the ball sailed a bit. Today I hit this and Barb Wire in the same session. Several balls with the Orange were just deep where as the shots with BW seemed to be dipping in more.

Comfort: Fairly comfortable for me. I found it more comfortable than 4G. I think the little bit of extra power didn't wear out my arm as much as the 4G did. I wouldn't string it any higher than I did as I suspect that would lead to some fatigue.

Durability: This seems to be a strength for this string. I am 9 hrs in with no real notching. I have been tracking the tension with Racquettune and tension maintenance is another strong point. It lost 5 lbs. after the initial 1.5 hrs of hitting but has only lost about 1.8 additional lbs in tension over the next 7.5 hrs of hitting. It is holding pretty steady at very small amounts of decline after each session.

Playability Duration (share thoughts on if/how the playability changed over time): Now playability is a different story for me than the tension maintenance. Today the balls were sailing on me more than they did in previous sessions. I was still swinging out on the ball but now they were starting to sail out whereas in previous sessions I had to swing big to get the ball deep. The tension loss has not been huge but it has definitely lost playability after 9 hrs.

Control: String was easy to control up until the last 1.5 hrs of hitting today. It is starting to lose control now after 9 hrs. Prior to today, I had no issues controlling groundstrokes volleys or serves. I would have liked additional spin to get drop shots to bite a bit more and for giving that extra bit of kick on serves. Overall the control was solid for the length of time I expected the string to be playable (7-10 hrs).

Compare to the string you use most often: SS Orange wouldn't convince me to switch from Tour Bite or Barb Wire. I like the free power and spin from those strings too much to switch. While the Orange had good control and solid tension maintenance, I have been getting the same from Barb Wire recently along with the bonus of extra pop and the ability to generate larger amounts of spin.

Tension recommendations (after hitting it, would you recommend a different tension? Why?): I would say something in the low 50's if not in the 40's is where you want to be with this string. Anything higher and I think I would have had more fatigue and soreness just as a result of the low power.

Summary: List 1 or 2 primary likes and dislikes: I liked the control and the tension maintenance of this string. I think I could compensate for the loss in playability that creeps in if I was on a budget and didn't want to cut it out after 7-9 hrs. I didn't like the low power of the string and I much prefer the access to spin that you get from shaped poly as opposed to this string's round, smooth profile.

Overall, I don't see myself making a switch. It just doesn't have the access to spin and extra pop I prefer in polyester string. Now if you are someone who likes something like Lux 4G, this would be a string to look at. To me, they play pretty similar but the SS Orange comes in at a bargain price and has just as good if not superior tension maintenance compared to 4G.

Thanks again Tennis Warehouse for the opportunity!
mlocke1322 is offline   Reply With Quote