View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #59
tennis tom
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roforot View Post
Look you're correct about the written rule.
But, no the unwritten rule is "You don't call a hinderance on brief communication b/w your opponents"

Again, how many times have you seen a ref call hinderance or even give a warning for this sort of communication?

I played a center court dubs match at La Jolla once--had a chair-ump, electronic scoreboard and everything. The chair-ump called us all over early on in the match and admonished us not to say ANYTHING while the ball was on our opponent's side of the net. I couldn't recall saying anything or hearing our opponent's say anything either--I sure as heck didn't utter anything after that.

Moral of the story, when in doubt--STFU! I don't communicate much, if at all, with my partner during a point, I like to give him credit (or the benefit of the doubt) that he knows how to play the game and is playing on the same court as me. If someone is shouting in my ear, just as I'm about to contact the ball, my biceps and triceps don't like it--make's 'em jumpy.